Non-Surgical Spine Treatments
Spine is one of the most important parts of our body that needs to be in a healthy state for proper mobility and functioning of the body. Pain in any region of spine is the most debilitating condition that can affect the quality of life of the person. Although there are various surgical procedures that can fix the abnormalities but they form the second line of treatment. Any kind of spinal deformity should first be managed with any of the following non-surgical treatment options:
- Pain medication: The presenting symptom of any spinal deformity is pain that can be treated with any of the following pain medications depending upon the patient and disease condition:
- Heat or ice: Alternative or singular application of cold or heating pad can provide relief to some patients.
- Manual manipulation: It can relieve lower back pain by reducing pressure on sensitive structures, increasing flexibility, improving blood flow and reducing muscle tension.
- Physical therapy: Back exercises including a combination of strengthening, stretching, and low-impact aerobic exercise can improve patient condition.
- Epidural injections: Direct injection into the spine to deliver steroids can provide relief from pain by decreasing inflammation.
- TENS units: These electrical devices interfere with the transmission of pain signals to the lower back and make the patient feel reduced or no pain.
- Lifestyle factors: A healthy lifestyle can greatly reduce the back pain. Patient should not smoke, lose extra weight, modify activities and improve ergonomics and posture.